Algebra and Computation (2017-I)
(Mon 1130 — 1300) & (Fri 1400 — 1530) @ A 201
- Each student would be required to scribe at least one lecture. You get additional score for correcting typos of other lectures etc. The scribing would count towards 10% of the final evaluation.
- There would be about 3-4 assignments and these would carry 45% towards the final evaluation.
- There would be an end-semester exam (most likely a take-home exam) the would carry 45% towards the final evaluation.
Scribing lecture notes
Lecture notes source files are available at here (and the git repository, accessible only internally, available at [megh]/ramprasad/algComp_2017/).
Latest version: algComp_2017.pdf (last updated 2017-04-27_1122)
- Problem Set 0 (Due: 27th Jan 2017; optional but recommended)
- Problem Set 1 (Due: 1st Mar 2017)
- Problem Set 2 (Due: 21st Apr 2017)
- End-sem exam (Due: 9th May 2017)
- [Luks90] - “Lectures on Polynomial-Time Computation in Groups” by Eugene Luks
- [Sud12] - “Algebra and Computation” (2012) by Madhu Sudan
- [Sud98] - “Algebra and Computation” (1998) by Madhu Sudan
- [CLO] - “Ideals, varieties and algorithms” by Cox, Little and O’Shea